Aug

Women on the Path to Recovery

Women are the fastest-growing segment for substance use disorders in the United States. According to the Federal Center for Substance Abuse Prevention, about 2.7 million women in the United States abuse drugs or alcohol and suffer from substance use disorders. Sadly, many women are reluctant to acknowledge their struggles and seek support.

Some of the more common and challenging obstacles include:

Child Welfare – Women with children often confront the possibility of being temporarily separated from their children or losing legal custody. As women are often the primary or solitary care giver, the difficulties are two-fold. Women may turn to substance use as a way to cope with the struggles of life as a care giver, but are also less likely to seek treatment as they do not want to lose their children.

Personal Trauma – Women with a history of physical and/or sexual trauma often turn to substance use as a coping mechanism.

Financial Burdens – Women tend to have greater concerns about paying for treatment in comparison to their male counterparts, as many women often earn less, are underemployed or unemployed.

Psychological and Emotional – Women often view their own substance use as a temporary coping mechanism, turning to substances to help them manage the demands of the work/life balance. Women often believe that their substance use is the outcome of anxiety or depression,  treating the behavioral health issue while ignoring the addiction.

Luckily, each day more and more women are turning to treatment for their substance use disorders and are finding a path to recovery. Despite the stigmas that persist about substance use disorders, the women on the path of recovery are so much more than their past or their addictions. They are our mothers, daughters, granddaughters. They are our friends, teachers, mentors. They are innovators, entrepreneurs, leaders. “We recognize the obstacles women face with addiction, and offer tailored care to
suit their special needs. From our specialized female and PPI programs, to our counseling and women’s only areas, we strive to help women rebuild their lives,” said Bill Bailey, CEO. At Cenikor, we are driven to help these women find their way along their path of recovery.

Carla’s powerful story is a testament of a woman in recovery.

“I grew up in a great house and my parents were not addicts. I had everything I needed, including love, but something was always missing.” says Carla Crochet, Cenikor Graduate and Business Manager. Carla was introduced to drugs at 13 which temporarily filled that void with false strength and power, but her drug use put her on a downward spiral eventually resulting in homelessness.

“I came to Cenikor at 37 years old with the mentality of a 13 year old. I had not grown-up and had no idea who I was.” Carla had her share of struggles in the Cenikor program, being terminated from Deer Park and later admitted in Baton Rouge, but she learned to find her way outside of her negative behaviors and to a place of self-respect. “While working my program, I focused on being a true role model for the females in population. Learning the true meaning of respect was powerful for me.” Carla completed the Baton Rouge long-term program, took part in Cenikor’s intern program and now serves as Business Manager for Deer Park.

Comments
  1. Cherie Abdin

July 2, 2017 - 11:46 am

Hi. My he us Cherie Abdin. I emailed you on Friday. I am still holding out hope that I will hear from you. I have nowhere else to turn.
    Thank you!

• Stacey Maddox

July 3, 2017 - 12:56 pm

Hi Cherie,

We have sent you an email to the email address provided or if it would be more convenient for you, please call 1-888-236-4567. We are happy to discuss different options that would best suit your individualized needs. Have a great day!

2. Amanda Prickett

April 19, 2017 - 1:16 pm

Hello,
    My name is Amanda. I emailed the other day about helping my little sister get into Cenikor Longterm care center in Waco Tx. I habe not received a call back so We are going to go into The Care counseling in Waco today and hope to get her admitted!

3. Michelle

March 21, 2017 - 8:11 am

Well it’s 2:47 am and I’m sitting outside a motel waiting for someone to bring some herion to me so i won’t be sick. Mind you I drive 1 1/2 to get this. It’s sad that herion has this much control over me. I got the information about Cenikor from Texas House.
    It all started one night when I sent a email begging for help. Its me and my husband we want out of this life of addiction.
    Seven months ago we had a baby boy. Yes threw my addiction…and I’m happy to say he’s healthy. I thank God for that now. Took me awhile to speak to God cause I’ve been anger….for giving me this gift. I don’t know how we have made it this far…last year 4 people I knew died from overdose, 2 other girls are pregnant in their addiction. I just need out…we need help cause we can’t do it on our own. I know in my heart my son has kept me somewhat keeping that small light of hope alive. Of course CPS stepped in and it’s been hell. We are thankful for the safety they have given our son…and today I see why God gave us him….to save us. I see him on Fridays and his innocence..deep in his eyes. We cry cause we so badly want our life and family back. We know it’s not to late. So please contact us back…we are just tired and the fight its so real…well goodnight. As I wait…Michelle & Luis

4. Monique jack

February 23, 2017 - 11:19 am

My name is monique jack and I will be there on the 27th . I’m nervous and excited at the same time. I really want to do the long -term treatment while I’m there because I have been doing the same thing (drugs) for so long ,I have no life. I prey this program helps me to get my life back…

• Kari Schoeffler

February 23, 2017 - 3:11 pm

Good Morning Monique,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your story Monique. We are dedicated to providing you, and for all our clients, with the safe, supportive environment needed to get you on your personal path to recovery. If you have any questions for our staff between now and the 27th, please do not hesitate to give us a call. That’s what we are here for, to help! You can call any time at 1-888-236-4567. Thanks again for reaching out to Cenikor and taking the first steps.

5. Emily Wagner

December 22, 2016 - 5:25 pm

I am an attorney. I have a female adult client who needs a two year treatment program in Baton Rouge. Her name is Angela Nixon. I need the application form and information. My email address is emilywagnerlaw@gmail.com. My physical address is 934 Garden Drive, Westlake, LA 70669.
    Emily Wagner

• Kari Schoeffler

December 27, 2016 - 2:23 pm

Good Day Ms. Wagner,

Thank you for reaching out regarding your client’s treatment needs. It is my understanding that a member of the Admissions and Access Center and Baton Rouge teams have been in touch with you. If you have any further questions, or if we can help with other inquiries, please do not hesitate to contact us. You can always reach us at 1-888-236-4567. We look forward to being of service to you, your current client, and any future client that might benefit from our treatment programs. Have a wonderful day!

6. Crystal

December 14, 2016 - 11:48 pm

I’m looking for an alcohol program for myself and family counseling for my children and i

• Kari Schoeffler

December 20, 2016 - 2:16 pm

Hello Crystal. Thank you for reaching out. We would be happy to help you and your family. You are welcome to reach us at 1-888-236-4567. As you provided an email address, I will share it with a member of our access center department and ask someone to reach out directly to provide you with more information. I hope that the information you receive is beneficial and that we can provide the support needed for you and your family. Thank you for contacting us and we hope to talk with you soon. All the best!

7. Ashleigh

November 9, 2016 - 11:26 pm

Hi I am trying to find the form to get on the waiting list for detox and program please call me back or email me thank you Ashleigh

• Stacey Maddox

November 14, 2016 - 1:44 pm

Thank you Ashleigh for your interest in our program. A member of our Access Center has reached out to you directly via the email you provided. We hope to be of help to you and look forward to discussing the right program to suit your specific needs. You are welcome to call us directly at 1-888-236-4567. We look forward to talking with you and wish you nothing but the very best for the path forward.